bestnom1000x50

Moronic PETA activists strip naked, clown about a serious issue

I'm no fan of animal cruelty. Which is why I hate PETA. They're unduly cruel and ridiculous to their fellow animals (the human kind) in the name of a good and admirable cause.

Today, for example, a group of PETA activists will get naked (nearly - in their underwear) in Monument Square, to make the point that they'd rather be naked than wear fur.

Fine by me if they feel that way - just please don't parade your naked bodies in front of me - especially not to convince me of something I already believe.

Honestly, who in Portland wears fur? Do we really need some sort of ridiculous clown show to "raise awareness" about how bad it is to do something we're not doing? About something 99 percent of us think is cruel - and the other 1 percent doesn't, because they personally shot, killed, skinned, cured, cut, and sewed their own fur garments from a wild Maine creature they also ate the meat of and carved beautiful crafts from the bones of?

And it's not like going naked in Portland is an option, either - it's too fucking cold most of the time.

Who are these idiots, and why are they e-mailing me and calling me and wasting my time - and the time of the news media around the city - with this stupid circus show that will have no measureable effect on anything at all? I mean sure, it's Maine, so we're inclined to take any damn peep show we're offered, but this is fucking foolishness.

If PETA really cared about animal cruelty, they'd do things that caused people to take them seriously, and not make clowns of themselves publicly in places where everyone agrees with them anyway.

As it is, they're probably psyched I posted a blog mentioning them, despite that I'm telling everyone to pay PETA no attention now or in the future - and I promise never to blog about those morons again.

| More


ADVERTISEMENT
 Friends' Activity   Popular 
All Blogs
Follow the Phoenix
  • newsletter
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • rss
ADVERTISEMENT
Latest Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Search Blogs
 
Links
Strange Maine - winner, The Best Blog, Portland Phoenix, 2008
Black Bird Legal Collective - A Portland-based legal-activist group
DowneastBlog - You tell us what they think
Local Foodie - Portland-based local-foods blog
Media Nation - A media-watch column by journalism professor and Phoenix contributor Dan Kennedy
Organizing Notes - Comments from Maine peace-and-justice activist Bruce Gagnon
Portland Greens - Updates from Portland's Green Party
Portland on Wikipedia - See what the crowdsourcing crowd is saying
Where There's Wil, There's Always A Way - winner, The Best Blog, Portland Phoenix, 2007
Portland Museum of Art blog -
Have Faith In Worthless Knowledge - The SPACE Gallery blog
Maine Prisoner Advocacy Coalition - Activists for prisoners' rights
About Town Archives